Benefits of Meditation
Today we are going to talk about the benefits of meditation.
Yoga is widely accepted today all over the world due to poses and their magnificent effect, especially hatha yoga. On the contrary, very few people explore this facet of yoga called meditation.
What is Meditation
Meditation is a way for nourishing and blossoming the divine within you.
Through meditation, the Higher Self is experienced.
Meditation is the most important and oldest practice in yoga. It cannot be defined with a particular definition or set of words. All the scholars and sources have different definitions for meditation because the meaning and practice differ from one another.
For instance, according to Collins dictionary, “Meditation is the act of remaining in a silent and calm state for a period of time, as part of a religious training, or so that you are more able to deal with the problems of everyday life.”
According to Merriam Webster, Meditation is “a discourse intended to express its author's reflections or to guide others in contemplation”.
However in simple words, meditation is a practice of focusing the mind on a specific object, idea or motion; to prepare concentration and awareness, in order to attain a psychologically lucid, expressively calm and stable state.
Advantages of Meditation Practice
In modern times, meditation practice is quite significant in order to cope up with anything life throws at you. Let us go through a few benefits that follow the regular and consistent practice of meditation.
Regular meditation practice-
- diminishes stress
- boosts self-confidence
- helps in social anxieties and OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder)
- improves immunity
- lowers blood pressure
- aids to have a positive and optimistic attitude in life
- makes the practitioner self-aware
- keeps the memory sharpen as you age
- helps in dementia
- facilitates the practitioner to be more kind, polite, generous and compassionate
- increases the strength of will and decisiveness
- makes your mind relax and rejuvenate
- facilitates in the treatment of chronic pain
- lessen the strain on arteries and in blood vessels
- reduces blood pressure
- assists in managing ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder)
- makes you more focused
- advances the performance of the brain
- provides better sleep and assists to treat insomnia too
- boosts metabolism
- lessens the sign of aging
- makes you feel more happy and blissful
These are the few benefits of meditation that can be achieved by its regular practice.
Things to Consider
- Do not hesitate to do meditation thinking that it is a religious practice. It is certainly not a religious practice. In fact, it is a science and technique used to get and achieve certain effects.
- Not everybody feels efficient at the first attempt, especially at practicing meditation. One needs to be patient and enduring to build up their practice.
- Practice meditation under a well-experienced teacher who can help and guide you with your practice. If you can, join a meditation ashram in a peaceful location like Rishikesh to level up your meditation practice.
- Do not make the excuses that you don’t have to meditate or practice yoga. Remember,
If you have time to breathe you have time to meditate., You breathe when you walk, You breathe when you stand. You breathe when you lie down.
To know how meditation changed the life of Christine, you can read this blog How Meditation Changed My Life .