HOW TO REGISTER WITH YOGA ALLIANCE AFTER YOGA TTC
A Registered Yoga School (RYS) is a qualification given to a Yoga School or a Yoga Institution that fulfills Yoga Alliance guidelines. An RYS must present its course’s syllabus to Yoga Alliance, be confirmed by YA's credentialing team.
I was one of those people, who were (or are) under the impression that once you complete your Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) program and get your certification from the yoga school, their work is done. Well, my bubble busted soon enough to know that it is not true.
After completion of your yoga teacher training program, you have to register yourself as a certified yoga teacher with Yoga Alliance. You have to follow a proper procedure to register yourself. So let’s check out what is Yoga Alliance, the process to register as a yoga teacher with Yoga Alliance and other important details.
What is Yoga Alliance:
Yoga Alliance is a non-profit organization that certifies and registers yoga teachers and yoga schools all over the world that meet their standards. It is a US-based organization, headquartered in Arlington, Virginia.
Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT):
When a yoga teacher or practitioner trains under a Yoga Alliance, USA approved yoga school then heshe is registered as RYT i.e. Registered Yoga Teacher. The schools which are registered under Yoga Alliance are known as Registered Yoga School (RYS).
There are certain eligibility requirements to get registered as an RYT in Yoga Alliance. These are
- You must have completed your Yoga Teacher Training at 200 Hour or 500 Hour level, or 200 Hour and 300 Hour level at a Registered Yoga School
- Before applying, you must have your YTT certificate that shows you have completed your training from a registered yoga school
- You should be aware of the dates of commencement and end of your training
- You should have a credit card or a PayPal account
The procedure to apply for RYT is quite easy and simple. You just have to follow the following steps:
- To apply for the registration, first go through the website of Yoga Alliance, USA and fill out the application form
- To fill it, you have to create an account, Afterward, you have to submit a Program Confirmation Request to the registered yoga school where you took YTT. As soon as your request is confirmed by you RYS, you pay your fees and submit a review about your yoga school.
By following the above procedure, you can get registered as a yoga teacher through Yoga Alliance. However, it is not a lifetime thing; you have to pay an annual renewal fee for your registration in order to remain an RYT.
Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT):
There is another designation called E-RYT i.e. Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher for the teachers who are much experienced in the field of yoga. If you are teaching yoga for many years then it is best if you register yourself as E-RYT.
Let us have a look at the prerequisites to get registered as E-RYT:
- You must be teaching for at least two years since you finished your training with RYS200 and four years for RYS500
- Since the completion of your YTT, you must have taught yoga classes of minimum 1000 Hours for RYS200 and 2000 Hours for RYS500
- You must have a certificate or experience letter of teaching 1000 Hours or 2000 Hours of yoga classes for RYS200 and RYS500 respectively
Points to Remember:
- Always apply directly through the official website of Yoga Alliance i.e. https://www.yogaalliance.org/ and not through any other website
- Make sure you have all the certificates needed to register yourself as RYT
- To be a yoga teacher you don’t have to register yourself as RYS but due to the credentials and perks that a registered member of Yoga Alliance gets, it is highly recommended
- Before registering yourself make certain to go through the official Yoga Alliance website thoroughly