Yoga Teacher Training FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
1. What is it like to travel to Rishikesh India?
India is truly unlike any other country in the world, filled with welcoming people and breathtaking landscapes. Participating in our Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh provides a chance for you to explore an entirely unique culture in a safe, supportive environment. Come and experience the rich and vibrant culture of India by tasting unfamiliar cuisines, witnessing a traditional aarti ceremony, haggling your way through the markets, and soaking up all of the sights, smells, and sounds that India has to offer.
2. I am a woman traveling alone is it safe?
A common concern among women is their safety when traveling alone to any country. Although you may have heard otherwise, India is surprisingly a very safe country for women travelers. We have welcomed hundreds of women of all ages to our course who have traveled there alone. For a woman traveling alone to any country, there are certain codes of conduct that should be put in place to remain safe.
Some suggestions being: do not go out alone at night, do not go to bars or other nightclubs, do not go anywhere outside of public areas with strangers, never take any drugs, alcohol or any other substances which could impair your judgment, carry yourself with a sense of dignity and self-respect, and be respectful of the culture in your dress and speech.
3. What type of clothing should I bring?
The type of clothing that you bring with you will depend on the time of year which you are attending. The spring and summer months is Rishikesh are generally very warm, so it is best to pack thin, loose-fitting clothing. The winter months is Rishikesh can be very chilly before sunrise and after sunset, so we advise you to pack in layers so that you are able to cover up for classes where you will remain still and remove layers during asana class when you may become warmer.
As a general rule, to respect the India culture, you are permitted to wear “western style” fitted spandex yoga clothing and/or tank tops or camisoles while you are at the yoga center, however, it is advisable to cover up when you go into town with more loose fitting and modest clothing.
4. I have only practiced yoga a few times. Am I really ready for a Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh?
We believe that the study and practice of yoga should be open to all people, regardless of their previous yoga experience or physical fitness level. Yoga is so much more than just the physical asana practice, and we want you to have to know to share the joy of yoga with others. Therefore, we welcome people of all experience levels into our Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh.
5. What types of students join your Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh?
Our students come from all over the world. Our past students have come from South America: from Chile to Brazil, United States: from Hawaii to New York, Canada: from British Columbia to Quebec, Europe: from the UK to Ukraine, Russia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Japan, Mongolia, and the list goes on! Students come from all paths of life, careers, backgrounds, age groups, and experience levels.
Our student distribution spans from those in their 20s not sure of their career paths or life goals to accomplished business professionals in their 60s who are now ready to commit their lives to spiritual practice, and every level in between. We have students who have practiced yoga for 3 months, and those who have practiced for 30 years. One of the highlights about studying at Chandra Yoga Meditation Ashram is not only learning from our experienced teachers but learning from each other, as you will hopefully come to know.
6. Do I need any vaccinations?
No vaccinations are required to enter into India; however, some students feel more comfortable receiving vaccinations before they come. It is completely your decision. If you are interested in getting vaccinated before traveling to India, we advise you to check with a travel doctor to see which vaccinations they recommend.
7. How will I contact my friends and family?
We understand that it is important for you to let your loved ones know that you have safely arrived in India and are doing well during your teacher training course. However, we ask that you also please remember that you will most benefit from your teacher training course if you focus on your yoga teacher training course without the distractions from home. Try to limit contact with family and friends during your course so that you can focus on your homework and spiritual training. With that in mind, you should check with your wireless provider regarding international charges for using your cell phone out of the country.
Wireless internet is available in our yoga centers in Rishikesh/Dharamsala and there are also a few internet cafes. It is also available in your room and at certain times at the yoga school. Indian phones can also be purchased inexpensively to make phone calls to other Indian phone numbers and to international phone numbers at a decent rate. In case of emergency, it is best to keep your emergency phone numbers written down in a notebook that you can keep with you, and give family and loved ones.
8. What about money?
In India, the currency is rupees (INR). We advise you to bring USD, NOT TRAVELERS CHECKS. You may exchange money or use an ATM at the airport in Delhi. There are also ATMs in Rishikesh. Be sure to inform your banks and credit card companies that you will be traveling to India before you leave to avoid fraud protection freezes. Rule of thumb: bring $100 for each week of your trip. You will not need that much unless you plan to make expensive souvenir purchases. It is also a good idea to check the exchange rate at http://www.xe.com/ucc/
9. How do I get there?
Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi (DEL) is the international airport that is closest to our schools in Rishikesh India. From there, you have several options to travel to each of our schools. For Rishikesh, we recommend either taking an additional flight from New Delhi to Dehra Dun (DED), or we can arrange a taxi to pick you up from the Airport and bring you to our Ashram. This Dehradun airport is only about 60-minute drive from our Ashram. If you would like to discuss other available travel options, please let us know. We are always happy to help you with travel plans and can book reliable taxis to bring you directly to our Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh Ashram.
10. Do I need a visa?
You will need a valid Passport and Visa to travel to India from most countries. Contact your nearest India Embassy in your home country to inquire about their visa process and requirements.
11. Why not join a Yoga Teacher Training Course at home?
Although there is a Yoga teacher training course located all over the world, there is something very special about participating in a YTTC in India. India has been the center of spirituality and wisdom for centuries. The great sages and rishis of India had devoted their lives to the practice and sharing of yoga knowledge throughout the country, however, we have chosen the location of our schools very carefully. The energy of Rishikesh flowing from the sacred “Ma Ganga” or Mother Ganges River brings a very unique feeling to the YTTC in India.
This ancient holy city provides numerous areas for the yoga practitioner to explore and develop spiritually. In Dharamsala, the presence of the Dalai Lama and ancient practice of Buddhism can be felt amongst the large Tibetan community, providing a quiet and calm space for the encouragement of spiritual practice. The beaches of Goa provide a natural environment for yoga students to connect with nature as part of divine manifestation. So, while there may be very well-known YTTC’s in your area… remember that it is not merely the curriculum, but the environment in which you study that will affect your spiritual development.
12. I’m ready to join! How do I sign up?
If you have decided that our program is the right fit for you, or if you would like additional information, please fill out the Registration form on the page. We will send you a personalized follow-up email within 1-2 days with instructions for submitting your deposit via PayPal.
13. When should I arrive?
We have a traditional Indian fire ceremony and orientation meeting on the first-day training at 3:00 PM to ensure students know where the classes will be held, to familiarize with the facilities, and to allow students to meet each other and their teachers. Student attendance at the orientation day is compulsory.
14. What should I pack?
Pack lightly. Most people travel with one suitcase or backpack and a small, carry-on backpack that will double as your pack for outings. You will also find plenty of shops to buy inexpensive clothing and toiletries and may actually prefer to not pack much at all and simply purchase most of your necessities once you arrive in Rishikesh India.
Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh FaQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Suggestions
Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh Faq About Clothing Suggestions
- Pants (for yoga, town, travel, hiking)
- Tops (for yoga, short or long sleeved shirts for other activities)
- Scarf (you may wish to wait to purchase in India), for warmth and covering up (inside temples, etc)
- The outer layer (sweatshirt or light jacket/fleece)
- Tennis Shoes (something to hike and walk in)
- Sandals (most prefer flip-flops for the accommodations and in town)
- Hat, Sunglasses (the sun can be intense)
- Swimwear (Modest for everyone. Most will swim in their yoga clothes, but if you prefer a bathing suit, board shorts for men and one-piece with a cover-up for women
Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh Faq About clothing Suggestions:
- The key word for clothing: modest. While sleeveless yoga tops may be appropriate in the yoga hall, they will not be appropriate out in public. Tight yoga pants and leggings are also okay in the yoga hall but are not recommended when walking in public.
- Err on the side of packing lightly.
- Very affordable laundry service is available (women should be prepared to wash intimate apparel in their room).
Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh Faq About Toiletry Suggestions:
- Several packages of travel-sized tissue
- Hand sanitizer
- Bug Repellent
- Shampoo, Soap, Lotion, etc.
- Nail clippers, tweezers, razor
- Travel packs of facial/body wipes
- Tampons (they are difficult to find in India)
Yoga Teacher Training Rishikesh Faq About toiletries Suggestions:
- Leave your hair dryers, curling, and flat irons, etc at home. Even with adapters, they will overheat and create shocks/melting. A wide range of products is available in India, including local brands you may wish to try.
- Medical Supplies *These are only suggestions. Please consult your medical provider!
- Chewable Pepto-Bismol, Tums
- Broad spectrum antibiotic and antibiotic ointment
- The small travel-sized first-aid kit that includes band-aids and alcohol/antibacterial wipes
- Malaria pills if you choose to take them
A few notes about medical supplies:
- Consider providing us with a list of any allergies, special medical conditions, prescription medicines, blood type, and insurance card and number.
- Small purse or money belt
- $300-$500 in cash to exchange for rupees
- 2 photocopies of important documents (one for a suitcase, one for carrying one), including a copy of passport, visa, and documents with important phone numbers (i.e. credit card, loved ones, health insurance)
- 1 additional photocopy of passport and visa for your accommodation's manager
- Reusable water bottle
- Journal, pens
- Spare bag for souvenirs (you can ship things home from Rishikesh India as well)
- Camera, Charger/batteries
- Alarm clock
- Small flashlight
- Yoga mats are provided, you may bring your own if you prefer
On the way out the door double check for.
- Toiletries for the flight
- Socks to keep your feet warm on the flight
*We understand it can be a tough decision whether or not to join our yoga teacher training course, as it is a big commitment of time and money. We are here to provide you with the answers to any questions you may have about the course or travel to India. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we have not answered your questions here!